Thursday, November 5, 2009

Flowers, Plants & Herbs


Chives & Variegated Oregano, originally uploaded by HunnieBunch.

Plant Nurseries are a dime a dozen here in Manila, if you could find one, it's like a pot of Gold. Ok, that was exaggerated...hehehe

Buying Plants used to be like Field Trips to Bulacan, where everyone else wants to come. Sure going there is easy & very accesible to us, because we live near NLEX. But now with toll fees & gas prices rising so fast. It is a treat to go there.

So I looked for an alternative place to go to and I found it! It's the Manila Seedling Bank in QC. It is found along EDSA northbound corner Quezon Avenue. I used to pass by this area everyday and wonder what in the world is going on there?!?! A seedling bank?? So one weekend, I explored it, and found it just perfect.

It is like a mini Bulacan in the heart of Metro. Tons of Bonsai, Orchids, Phalaenopsis, & other supplies you need for your garden. Last Year, I was in an "Orchids" Phase, I blew my money on Phalaenopsis, Dendrobiums, Cattleyas & Waling. Some of them have died, others have just stopped blooming. I guess I don't have a green thumb??


I wasn't going to give up, so I came back, and just bought the Orchids mainly as home decor. To Cheer up the room. I always find magazine spreads with orchids in it. My next phase is the potted plants. I bought lots & lots of plants. I figured since flowers don't work for me, how about the greens? Wooohoo! Jackpot!

The plants have names, I actually forgot them, but the gardeners feed me on some information to help care for them. I got the variegated ones, and my favorite, Rainforest. The one with the big leaves & curly edges? i have about 5 pots. I initially bought a small to medium sized one, then i just transferred it to a bigger pot, now the leaves are so beautiful and they just keep on giving me a new leaf every 3 weeks.



If only Ashton didn't have a sore tooth and bitten some of the leaves off. I bought mine at around 300 pesos. Now I asked around how much for the same size as mine. It;s around 20 to 25,000 each. WooooW!!

One pot has babies..a new set of leaves, is emerging from the Mother Plant, I was afraid to transfer it so I just let it grow.

I told it to the Gardener where I bought the plant, she said that, that is a very rare occurence, I asked her to help me transfer the babies into another pot. She said to just bring the pot an she'll take care of it.

I also went thru a "herbs" phase, i bought rosemary, chives, & parsley. Rosemary was a hit. Everybody loved the smell especially with roast chicken..hhhmmmmm....

Two weeks ago, I cleaned up the ferns on our balcony plant box, and I decided to put baby plants, so i went to MSB to buy some garden soil, compost and a few potted plants. That's where I saw the banner that said they're selling cut flowers for Undas.


I was back there on the 30th, too early for flower shopping but, what da heck, they'll live. The flowers were in a controlled environment, meaning a huge giant freezer, I was there for half an hour, choosing & choosing until my nose is cold. I settled for some carnation, mums, paper roses & lilies.


Ohmygosh!! It's 11pm!! gotta go to sleep, we'll have Lab Tests tomorrow...

Goodnight!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment